Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The little brown dog...

Last week, as I headed out to grab a cup of coffee, I spotted a little brown dog jogging down the sidewalk about 2 blocks from my art studio. Worrying about this loose little guy, I immediately pulled over into the next parking lot and grabbed my 'car leash' hoping to scoop him up and take him to safety. Little did I know, this was one savvy little stray and for the next 2 hours, I followed him, hoping for an opportunity to loop this incredibly scared pup with my slip lead.

Unfortunately, as hard as I tried, this dog had me outwitted and every time I got close, he bolted. I finally had to give up the chase after he started bolting into traffic to get away from me. I was afraid that I would scare him from the area or worse into an area where he would be seriously injured. I called Animal Control, they dispatched two officers and were able to join in the chase. Unfortunately, they were also unable to catch him and all weekend long, I worried about this lost little pup.

With each trip to my studio, I kept an eye out, hoping to see him and have an opportunity to pick him up while also worrying that I would see him lying on the side of the road after being hit by a car. After a couple of days of not seeing him, I began to worry that the cold nights had taken their toll, as it has been in the 20's and terribly rainy. Knowing the area he frequents, I spoke with a friend who has humane traps that would be large enough for him and even set up a time to borrow one this week. Happily, I did not need the trap since, finally, this little guy was caught and brought into the Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter (WCRAS) where he is now safe and warm. 



I'll admit, as he entered the shelter, I had happy tears as this boy has been on my mind constantly for the last week. In fact, the first thing I did was tell my husband that the brown dog was safe because I have been talking about him so much, others were even starting to worry about his fate!

At WCRAS, this little pup has been named Sam and while he is currently on stray hold, we are hopeful that he simply got out of the yard and that his family will reclaim him. However, if that doesn't happen, this cute boy will be getting vet care and going up for adoption.

Today, after a night at the shelter, I was able to visit with Sam and wow, what a sweetie! This handsome boy is a completely different dog than the scared, dirty stray that I first met. I always feel like dogs know when they are being cared for, Sam is no exception to that. As I took him out of his kennel today, Sam immediately gave me tons of kisses and was the perfect gentleman during our photo shoot. It warms my heart knowing that this little loose dog is going to be offered a second chance, I can't wait to see who gets lucky enough to adopt this sweet boy!

Stephanie Conrad
Pet Studio Art | Owner | Artist
www.petstudioart.com

Follow Pet Studio Art on Instagram