Monday, November 19, 2012

A New Beginning

GAO pup, Annie gets a belly rub
at one of our adoption events.
Over the last 2 years, I have been honored to run an organization called No Kill Wilco. As an advocacy organization, we work closely with area rescue groups as well as our open admission shelters to build a strong bond between these groups for the greater good of our community pets. 

I have seen many pets rescued simply because these organizations are starting to work together and are now comfortable placing that call for pets in need. A few weeks ago a breed specific rescue for Greyhounds was able to connect with a Dachshund group to save a little senior Dachshund that had been found running down a busy highway. That connection saved this pup from ending up in the open admission county shelter, which in turn kept a space available for another pet to be saved. Relationships like these are priceless and I could not be more proud of the work that I am doing.

Sarah, available for adoption
through GAO.
Well, at least I thought I could not be more proud. Last week, one of the rescues to which I have the strongest personal connection, Georgetown Animal Outreach (GAO) and No Kill Wilco decided to team up. Not only do we plan to start doing more for our community together but we plan to open an adoption facility together. 

Our first step is going to be finding that perfect space, which is where our focus will begin. Our goal is to have a space set up and open by mid-year next year. 

This is HUGE! MASSIVE! AMAZING! news and I am so excited to be able to share it with the world. Since I was a young child, I have always rescued those stray animals, I have always been the go-to girl for my friends when they have a pet in need and I have always had a soft side for very animal that crosses my path. I have dreamed for years about running a rescue organization and now, with the amazing team of GAO, we are going to make that dream a reality. 

Stephanie Conrad
Pet Studio Art | Owner | Artist